Tuesday, August 13, 2013

World: -1

Uncommon to downtown Cincinnati are drive-by shootings.

Yesterday at work, we got an email about a shooting that had happened earlier that morning. 
"...Unfortunately this is a reminder that there are people who don't see other options for themselves than violence and crime and reaffirms the need for our work to give people another path."
It happened just on the corner where our office is located, and exactly where I take the bus home. As I got off work yesterday and walked to the corner, I saw a trail of dark blood dried onto the concrete sidewalk, like someone had just had dumped a bottle of soda that splattered on the ground while glugging out from its narrow neck.

Even though I unfortunately hear and read about these shootings all the time, this particular one was a chilling scene, and I have never felt more vulnerable out in the city than I have standing on that corner.

There is SO much going on in the places we live yet all we care about is ourselves.