Last night, I Google hangout'ed with my friend whom enjoys discussing life's complexities as much as I do.
I have trouble believing there are others out there who feel the same need and desire to further complicate life by over-thinking it. Of course, the topic of Lena Dunham came up.
Let me first say that I had heard her name thrown around here and there several years ago but knew nothing of her. Something about a tv show. Something about being racist. And then another thing about dating fun. (who I also know nothing about). I admit to judging women who watched "Girls" after reading a short summary that would legitimize my eye rolling. I feel the same way about "Sex and the City" but I watched enough episodes to make me an official "viewer" to both take pleasure and hate the series for its hyper un-realistic scenarios and lifestyles and degradation to both women and men alike. So, I can't roll my eyes at Carrie.
As an avid The New Yorker follower, I had to read the excerpt from her soon-to-be published book (which is now available) they had recently published. Although I found the content to be only somewhat entertaining and partly without purpose, I was mesmerized by her writing style.
Soon, I learned that Nora Ephron was a mentor to her, David Sedaris agreed to write his name on the back of her book by writing a one line review, and that she is, well, just has a good voice.
I hate how anyone can write about the struggles of being female. Not that there is such thing as too much coverage on the topic. Dunham claims, and everyone else claims, that your story is important and must be told. Does everyone also know that the "you" in "your" is universal?
What made me angry was when I went to Strand a couple days ago and saw that Nasty Gal's CEO Sophia Amoruso's book-- which LITERALLY has a HASHTAG in the title of her book-- was the best seller, with the cover of the book claiming its NY Times Best Selling mark.
Not only did I realize that NY Times Best Selling essentially means that the Times staff merely predicts that your book will sell well, but that it doesn't mean that it's a good book. Sometimes they are, but sometimes they aren't. I didn't read a single word of Amoruso's book, but it's rumored that she's an awful writer without voice.
Lena Dunham and Sophia Amoruso are on tour together, obviously.
I pre-ordered Dunham's book about a week after her piece was published in The New Yorker and will be reading it in the privacy of my home. Then I will publish a self-proclaimed best seller about the struggles of being me.